- You must be a registered user to apply for this job. Please log in or create an account.
Summer Interns at Sports Grid at SportsGrid
Writing/Editing - Posted on April 10, 2013
This employer is not willing to relocate.
SportsGrid is seeking two summer editorial interns to help keep our sports blog machine rolling. And if you’re looking to contribute to an established sports blog and earn school credit, all while receiving a crash course in the world of online media, one of those interns could be you. The details:
Position #1: Social Media Intern
SportsGrid is seeking one social media intern to help beef up our presences on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+, and also to patrol our comments section. Oh, and you'll get a chance to get some bylines too. Duties will include:
- Posting stories and photos to our accounts, and interacting with readers, on the aforementioned social media sites. (Here's an example of a good Facebook photo post, and here's a very basic example of Twitter interaction you might have.)
- Monitoring our comments section, responding to good comments, sometimes responding to bad comments, and deleting really bad comments.
- Brainstorming ways to better engage readers on these sites.
- Again, occasionally writing posts.
Position #2: Copy editing/fact checking/tip-investigating intern
SportsGrid is also seeking an intern whose primary duty it will be to read our stories and look for typos and awkward phrasing, check our facts, and make sure everything that should be linked is linked. Essentially, you're keeping our stories in line. And as with the other position, you'll get a chance to get some bylines of your own, too. Duties will include:
- Reading all SportsGrid posts before publishing and alerting the author if there are any mistakes (typos, misspellings, grammatical flubs i.e. it's/its, a wrong statistic, a piece of information that should be linked out but isn't) that need fixing.
- Writing some posts yourself.
- Researching tips: we get tip emails from readers, and sometimes don't have the time to follow up on those tips as much as we'd like. You'll help us with that. If we get a tip that involves, say, researching combing through several Twitter users, or through the bowels of the internet in general, you'll be on the case - and, if the tip's worth pursuing, get to do some original reporting while you're at it.
The ideal candidate: - Is a current college or graduate student looking for hands-on experience at a news startup.
- Is familiar with our site, and the sports blogosphere in general.
- Has three smart, witty writing clips that mesh with our style and will blow us away. At least one clip should not be about sports.
- Possesses a clear knowledge of what works on the Internet and what doesn’t.
- Has an eclectic range of pop culture interests.
- Is a Twitter addict.
The logistics: - Our summer internships run from June to August, with flexible start and end dates.
- Interns must be available to work full-time at our SoHo offices.
- Interns must be current college or graduate students who can receive academic credit for the internship; interns will be unpaid.
How to apply: If interested, please attach ALL of the following documents to your application email to be sent to email@example.com:
- A resume/CV, including references.
- The three aforementioned writing samples that you think mesh well with our style (again, one of the three should not be sports-related).
- A brief cover letter, which: 1) specifies which internship you are applying for; 2) explains why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal intern for our site.