- You must be a registered user to apply for this job. Please log in or create an account.
Assistant Editor at Geekosystem
Writing/Editing - Posted on January 18, 2013
This employer is not willing to relocate.
Do you spend your days in a zombie-like state, consuming the entirety of geek culture, but without any sort of outlet through which to alleviate that well of bubbling geek knowledge? Well, bubble no more! For we here at Geekosystem are looking for an Assistant Editor!
The ideal candidate has a background in writing, an obsessive knowledge of geek culture, and can work regular office hours (Monday through Friday, around 10 AM to 6 PM). Ideally, the candidate will be able to work in our office in SoHo in New York City.
These are the biggest qualities we're looking for in a candidate:
- The primary qualification for this job is an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsessive enthusiasm for multiple aspects of geek culture. If you are knowledgeable about weird, cutting-edge tech phenomena, follow gadget and consumer electronics news, and/or possess a deep knowledge of video games and/or science fiction, anime, comics, or Internet culture, then this is the editorial position for you.
- The secondary qualification is being able to write quickly and clearly, without weird (or normal!) grammatical or spelling issues, on topics that you think up or discover on the interwebs.
Bonus achievements unlocked if you have the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of blogging software.
- Knowledge of the major personalities and figures in geekdom and the tech world.
- Experience with photo-editing software.
You, as Assistant Editor, would spend your work day writing, and you will get bylines for every single thing you write, because we're not evil, and some even say we're alright by them.
- The Assistant Editor would work Monday through Friday, with coverage from 10 AM to 6 PM EST.
- Ideally, the Assistant Editor would be able to physically work in our office in SoHo, New York City.
- This is a paid internship, and compensation will be discussed through the interview process.
How to apply:
- A resume/CV, including references (please include any weird skills you might have, like knowledge of MUD coding languages or a Wizards of the Coast tournament ranking).
- Any two samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.) (Although we are a blog! So keep that in mind when deciding what to submit)
- A brief (1 page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal editor for a geek culture blog. Please also discuss your favorite somewhat obscure Internet meme in your cover letter; if you don’t, we’ll know you didn’t read the entire posting! We’re sneaky like that.
Good luck, and get those applications in soon, or someone else may take your destined position, and all that bubbling geek knowledge might fester inside you and cause some sort of weird disease.
Geekosystem is a news blog at the cutting edge of technology and Internet culture with the mission of uniting all the tribes of geekdom under one common banner. There’s a lot of overlap between the different families of geekery: The geeks who are into gadgets and computers are often one and the same as the geeks who are into comics and sci-fi, who are often the same as the geeks who are fueling the culture of the Web — one forum or imageboard at a time.
Geekosystem is a property of Abrams Media, whose group of websites include: Mediaite, a media news website; Geekosystem, a site devoted to tech and geek culture; Styleite, which covers beauty and fashion; Sportsgrid, which follows sports and sports-related media; Gossip Cop, a site devoted to policing the celebrity gossip industry; The Mary Sue, a site for female geeks; and The Jane Dough, a site that examines the business and political worlds through the female prism. Our CEO, Dan Abrams, is the on-air Legal Analyst for ABC News and the former General Manager of MSNBC.