- You must be a registered user to apply for this job. Please log in or create an account.
Summer Editorial Interns at Geekosystem
Writing/Editing - Posted on April 10, 2013
This employer is not willing to relocate.
Geekosystem is seeking editorial interns for the summer! The ideal candidate is a current college or graduate student looking for hands-on writing experience at a news startup. Here are the two biggest things we're looking for in applicants:
- The primary qualification for this job is an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsessive enthusiasm for multiple aspects of geek culture. If you are knowledgeable about weird, cutting-edge tech phenomena, follow gadget and consumer electronics news, and/or possess a deep knowledge of video games and/or science fiction, then this is the internship for you.
- The secondary qualification is being able to write quickly and clearly, without weird grammatical or spelling issues, on topics that you yourself think up/discover on the interwebs.
Bonus points if you have the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of blogging software.
- Knowledge of the major personalities and figures in geekdom and the tech world.
- Experience with photo-editing software.
Our interns spend most of their time writing, and most definitely receive bylines for all of their stories. The logistics:
- Our summer internships run from June to August, with flexible start and end dates.
- Interns must be available to work full-time in our editorial offices in SoHo.
- Interns must be current college or graduate students who can receive academic credit for the internship; interns will be unpaid.
How to apply: If interested, please attach ALL of the following documents to your application email: 1) A resume/CV, including references (please include any weird skills you might have, like knowledge of FORTRAN or a Wizards of the Coast tournament ranking). 2) Any two samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.) (Although we are a blog! So keep that in mind when deciding what to submit). 3) A brief (1-page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal intern for a geek culture blog. Please also discuss your favorite Internet meme in your cover letter; if you don't, we'll know you didn't read the entire posting! We're sneaky like that.
Geekosystem is a property of Abrams Media, whose group of websites include: Mediaite, a media news website; Geekosystem, a site devoted to tech and geek culture; Styleite, which covers beauty and fashion; Sportsgrid, which follows sports and sports-related media; Gossip Cop, a site devoted to policing the celebrity gossip industry; The Mary Sue, a site for female geeks; and The Jane Dough, a site that examines the business and political worlds through the female prism. Our CEO, Dan Abrams, is the on-air Legal Analyst for ABC News and the former General Manager of MSNBC.